Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pictures Without Cameras

With the camera gone, I have to turn from photos to art. Perhaps I should hire a courtroom artist, I'm not sure what they're actually called, to illustrate scenes of my life. I don't think anyone could object to sketching me going to work, or eating a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich for lunch, or agonizing as I watch another DC United game unfold into defeat.

My wife’s an artist. I could just hire her. She sells stuff online. While most of what she does is birds and trees, her latest is of a cat:

She usually doesn’t do people though, so it could be a bit of a challenge for her. Or at least that's what I thought until this past weekend when, looking through her old sketch books, I found this little picture tucked away in the corner of a page dated 10/09… I will call it A Portrait of Me.
I think it's brilliant. She says she doesn’t remember doing it, but it makes me wonder what exactly I was doing that warranted me being drawn in my underwear with a big, goofy grin on my face. My guess: probably standing around in my underwear with a big, goofy grin on my face. There's a good chance I was envisioning myself having just saved the day... perhaps a thought bubble with me donning a cape billowing in the breeze would help. Although, I don't think courtroom sketches have too many thought bubbles.

I can only imagine the floating head glaring at me is the artist herself. Sometimes I suppose I deserve to be glared at.

Anyways, I love this picture of me, and I hope to find many uses for it here at the Muted Guerrilla. Maybe my intern Jeff can put it to good use.

3 comments:

Tiff said...

I can't believe no one has commented on the likeness of that sketch and yourself. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

That sketch is an amazing likeness of John. Tiff, you captures his essence.

tjd

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of "Weekend at Bernie's". Some part of your wife wants to drag your lifeless body around for a weekend of debauchery and wacky poses.
-Dustin