Friday, April 15, 2005

The Other Major League - It's Not Just Baseball Anymore

Like most Americans, I don't really follow Major League Soccer, but like many Americans, it was my sport of choice growing up. I loved the game. The passing, the kicking, the more passing, the 0-0 ties.

I joke, but again, I think I reflect the average American. While European governments are passing laws to curb the enthusiasm of fans after a recent incident where flares were thrown onto the field, soccer seemingly has little appeal in the US, unless of course someone's showing her bra.

But I have to ask, does anyone know for sure that they don't like soccer? Watching people who can play, who get paid to play, is a lot different than watching your 10 year-old running around after a bouncing ball.

The problem is that it's hard to find. Tonight, two of the top teams, so says an article, I wouldn't know myself, are facing off and it's not listed for any television. And I live in DC, home to one of the teams.

Some stations, NBC, have tried to create interest in certain sports with some success and some failure. Arena football and bullriding come to mind. Soccer is a great sport enjoyed by the world and even the 'world' market of hispanics and Europeans, should provide for the sport to make it on the TV.

The MLS enters it's tenth season doing all it can to raise interest and tap into that hispanic market. There are two new teams this year, one of which, the Chivas USA being the sister team to Mexico's most popular team, and today they signed a deal with SanAntonio to create another in 2006.

That, plus rising stars like Freddy Adu, and a healthy advertising contract with Adidas, to the tune of $140 million over 10 years, suggests that the differences between the Major Leagues won't always mean the pros and cons of the designated hitter.

So it seems the MLS is revving up, but will America hop on board is yet to be answered.

No comments: