Friday, April 15, 2005

Save the Trail

My job stretches me across all of Northern Virginia, including a very small town known as Paeonian Springs. A trail, a converted railroad track, runs through the town and many more towns and cities in the densely populated Northern Viginia finally ending in Alexandria, some 45 miles away.

Due to the amazing growth of the area, the trail is in danger of being lined with giant 110-foot high power lines. A legal battle has begun and the power company has admitted that alternatives exist. These are highly expensive, but is in the best interest of everyone involved. Perhaps everyone affected should become involved in the fight.

While this project does not effect me directly and I comment partially out of disgust for the family I know in the area, I should say that after walking part of the trail, I do believe it is important for nature not to get lost in urban development. The people of the area are rightly excited to see the tremendous growth of the area, but are rightly complaining to protect its 30-year old trail where the community meets nature.

No comments: