Friday, August 04, 2006

Buying and Denying

So this isn't the first time that I've tried giving up something... oh no. I saw Super Size Me. I read Fast Food Nation. That's right, I gave up McDonald's. For awhile at least; well, I had the obligatory last meal. That was one McGriddle I'll never forget. But I didn't eat there for a long time. The thing is though... here's the thing, like soda, sometimes it just tastes good, like there is some piece of your soul that just requires fast food from time to time. They are disgustingly evil though, with their smiling clown of a spokesman.

A Chipotle opened up across the street. Chipotle offers a whole lot of really good food, and it always finds a hole in my soul. However, I recently discovered Chipotle is equally evil. They are owned by the Golden Arches. So I haven't eaten there in awhile.

It all makes sense financially, but I don't understand why the Chipotle people would want to sell out to McDonald's of all places. It seems like they had a good thing going. Why sell it if it's working? It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it does, but it seems like the girly way to go about it. That's one more strike against them, girly Chipotle.

I ran into a similar problem in the stock market. I'm not much of an investor, but I finally found something that I really liked, that I hope to see continue and flourish, that I was excited to invest (a few dollars) in... Focus Features. It's a movie studio. In many ways, it would make for a pretty lame investment, but in many others it makes complete sense. I watch a lot of movies and I usually like the ones by Focus Features. So I look into it. Focus Features, it turns out, is owned by NBC, which is a bit of a buzzkill. But I rationalize it, start thinking about buying into NBC, which is much bigger and therefore much less fun, but it turns out that NBC is owned by General Electric, the only company to be listed in the S&P 500 for the entire existence of the S&P 500. That turned me off quicker than a popcorn fart on a dry day.

By the way, since about two months ago when both JDSU and Capstone Technologies tanked, I haven't paid much attention to the stock market. Whatever happened to JDSU being bought out at like 6 dollars a share? Although I'm not sure by whom, maybe it was McDonald's, but I doubt it.

No comments: