Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sales Pitch

It wasn't too long ago that Tiff and I finally put our name on the no-call list and the phone more-or-less stopped ringing. The no-call list is great. Our phone rings so little now that sometimes I'm even inclined to answer it. It isn't fool-proof though, and with this being a political season, we've been getting quite a few calls lately. I don't mind surveys or even automated campaign calls, as long as they're not asking for money, they're alright with me.

Last night, however, the Fraternal Order of Police called reminding me to buckle up for safety. Then they said they were going to send me a window-sticker boasting of my support for the Fraternal Order of Police. Then they asked for fifty dollars.

Now, I'm all for buckling up. I think safety belts are great. So are the police. But are there any other organizations out there cold-calling folks for donations? I understand the need to support the police and I am in no way undermining the bravery and citizenship of police officers everywhere. Maybe I'm out of line, but I don't think that equals some moral impetus to give them money.

I don't want to say flat-out "I do not support your cause" because that wouldn't be true. I give him my brief line about how it's a good foundation but I don't have any money to give away right now, and like a good salesman, he pushes on, not for the last time. He tries $35.

In the end, despite all my efforts to be polite and hear him out I just hung up on the guy. I wasn't sure what else to do. I've also been getting a lot of calls from my bank offering me accidental death insurance. I have to fight these off too, explaining that I've already got something similar... a tip jar on the right. Clang, clang. It's my own Fraternal Order of John Duffy. Clang, clang.

I had a different sales encounter recently, too.

No comments: