Monday, July 20, 2009

Home Alone

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That's my Home Alone scream... you'll have to use your imagination.

It's true. I'm home alone... and trying to keep from getting lonely. Tiff's busy watching a house with many pets, which leaves me busy watching a house with one, our cat. I often think of my cat as more of a dog and not just because she plays fetch, but she'll follow you around like a dog would. And she always greets me when I come home, which is nice. All pets should do this; it's great to come home to someone who's excited to see you.

Unfortunately, the It's-Great-to-Have-Home Welcoming Party, which makes my cat above average, lasts a bit too long. After I come home and get settled, maybe watch some television, read the mail, call my wife, and start to cook dinner - mmm... hotdogs - it seems like the focus of the Welcome Home Celebration has perhaps switched. The center of attention is no longer me but it... said cat. Which makes me wonder if it was ever really about me at all.

Whatever, I think there's a lesson to be learned from it. It's great to be happy and excited and grateful and even loving, but there is a point where it gets to be too much. It's important to practice moderation.

So far in my home alone-ness, I've been trying to keep busy, at which I've been - wait for it - moderately successful. This evening I believe I've broken up my To-Do List fairly well into two categories. There's the Probably List, full of all those things that if I had to guess will probably be done at some point this week. I'll probably get around to doing the dishes. ...maybe tomorrow, who knows? Then there's the Probably Not list. It would be great if I cleaned out the garage to the point where I could park my car in it, but realistically will that happen? Probably not, but hey, ...who knows?

I feel as though this is a good first step. It's an acknowledgement that there are only so many hours in a day and I am only human. Plus, it ain't easy being Home Alone. I mean, I've already lost my voice from all the screaming...

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!

1 comment:

Tiffany Duffy said...

Regarding your Probably List... this was written on Monday. When I got home on Saturday, not only were NO dishes done during the week, but they were also spread out across the entire living room. I'm leaving to housesit again in a week... maybe next time you could have "Probably", "Probably Not", and "Must Do or Tiff will Probably kill me" lists. Just a thought.