Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Another Day at Lunch

Now that I’ve mentioned my lunch break, I feel oddly exposed and I feel like I should say more and more about it until it has become... well, over-exposed. Maybe I should rename my blog, Lunchtime with John Duffy. It sounds like the title of really good Saturday afternoon PBS programming! “I’m your host John Duffy. Let’s cook something good today.”

Anyways, today I took a camera with me to add pictures of this place that I’ve been talking about. Today was pretty comfortable weather-wise as there was no summer sun, but that might be a bad thing as far as pictures go. There were also no birds… I’m not sure where they went. Here it is from where I sit:
And if I turn and look right:
I took this picture because there are probably about two weeks worth of apple cores behind that post and that damn water bottle is still standing there, unfazed and mocking me.

I think I would like having a camera with me at all times for any blog-worthy thing I run across. I would call it my BlogCam and if I got one, I could say that I’ve entered my BlogCamEra. It would take some getting used to though, the whole photojournalism thing.

For instance, instead of last week’s heroics of me saving a boat, today -drumroll please- I saved a life. Let's start with the fisherman who was "just trying to catch one damn bass" before he had to go to work. I know this because he told me so as he walked from the dock on my left, as seen above, to the dock on my right:
A few minutes later, there was a loud splash off to my left and there on the dock is a fish flapping around. I watched him for a minute or two... I was surprised how long he fought it, flopping around like fish out of water... oh wait... and then there was just still. I didn't want him to start smelling, so I went up to push him in the water. He was clearly still alive, and with a kick, I watched him swim away.

It was only after the fact that I remembered the camera sitting with my lunch. Yeah, I definitely still have a thing or two to learn about photojournalism. Next I'll try to figure out over-exposure.

1 comment:

John Duffy said...

I should have told the fisherman... no, man, the dam's down that way. You gotta go down a bit to get any dam fish!