Thursday, October 01, 2009

U2 Can Rock!

Last Tuesday, I got to see one of the greatest bands of all-time. I've talked about how great U2 is before after seeing their 3-D concert movie, but being there at the show, along with 80,000 of my closest friends, was a truly amazing experience, even from third-level seating behind the stage.

I'm not even that big of a fan, really, but something about their music is suited for huge crowds and everyone singing together. It's hard to compare it to anything, but I would say that, with that many people, it was as close to a religious experience as I've had in a long time. A bit of overstatement, maybe, but that's my line and sticking with it.

Not everyone agreed though. After the show, while I'm still amazed by what I just saw - the music and the stage-presence of the band - I was standing in line for the bathroom behind two guys complaining about the show. Or complaining about something. One said, "I lost interest after he mentioned Nancy Pelosi," who along with a fairly good size list of politicians was in attendance. There was no praise or support for them, Bono - U2's highly political front-man - thanked them for being there. The only praise given was to the USA in general and to President Bush for his work with AIDS reduction in Africa.

The other one in the bathroom was saying, "how much of the money they get do they actually give back? Maybe 2 cents for every dollar... I've lost all my respect for them." What? Really? I don't understand people. And they're not alone! That's what they were talking about on the morning radio show the next day! Most everyone who called in agreed! I don't get it. It was a rock concert!

Whatever... it was just a strange part of an awesome experience. It didn't ruin it one bit. The traffic though, that almost did. Three hours to and three hours back to a venue, Fedex Field, less than an hour away. On the way back, the first two hours were spent sitting in the parking lot watching nobody move.

It made for a very long night and had Tiff saying that she'd never go there again.

No comments: