Friday, October 29, 2010

DC United, Here's to Next Year

With Halloween coming up, it is time to reflect on one of the scariest things of all… how bad my local sports team was this past year. DC United’s season is mercifully over. They did not do very well. After breaking several undesirable records (21 goals in 32 games is not good, even by soccer’s low-scoring standards), it is time to officially look to the eternal promise of next year. About the only positive I can take away from this dismal season is that, even with the team at their worst, I am still a fan.

While I’ve always had some interest, I’ve followed the team religiously for just two years now, checking daily updates and frustrating my family and friends with talk of theories and wild speculation of what the team should do. At night, my wife will ask a surprisingly insightful question or two about DC United when she can’t sleep; as she drifts off to sleep, I am left wide awake for hours, with my brain in overdrive processing potential lineup changes or possible stadium locations. For the record, I’d like to see a 4-3-2-1 formation and believe the stadium should be within the District.

While I’ve heard ad nauseum of the once mighty and dominant DC United of yesteryear, these past two years have seen the team fall from “not-the-best” to “arguably-the-worst-in-league-history.” It has been hard to witness, but I haven’t been able to stop watching, painful loss after painful loss. By now, the excitement of taking the lead in a game is tempered by the unmistakable sense that it won’t last long.

Many might be repelled by this disastrous team with seemingly no direction, but as for me, I feel invested. I feel like my faith and support in the team over this low-period will be repaid, ten-fold, come next year. Yep, next year it will all click together.

No comments: