Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Walling Off Traffic

I’m not a big fan of traffic. I hate the stuff. Ironically, all the traffic that I encounter in my suburban commute is due to road construction meant to alleviate traffic. Whatever… maybe it makes sense.

What doesn’t make sense is building houses right next to busy, traffic-filled, 60-mph roads. There are probably a half-dozen neighborhoods that back up to my commute – each with several homes that I can see into from my car, granted very briefly. I don’t understand people who live in these homes. They must have gotten a good deal.

What makes even less sense is that a number of them have built these fancy patios or decks. Maybe they enjoy their location and think of it as box seats to a show. They sit out and watch the traffic… with their news radio on listening for traffic updates. Hey, it beats NASCAR.

Of course I’m kidding, and apparently the residents of these homes are thinking along the same lines as me. In the past few weeks, I’ve gotten to watch as three of these neighborhoods on my daily route have erected giant privacy walls between them and me, the commuter.

I’ve seen them before on the side of major highways, but after seeing their slow progression, I must admit that I didn’t realize how big they actually are. Or, how big things are that build big things. Or, that anyone would ever think to paint a giant wall brown.

So now those poor people are backed up against a giant wall. The relief from the noise and stream of headlights I can only imagine is worth it, but now you have this giant wall in your backyard. It seems like a lose-lose situation to me. I mean, my commute feels different and I’m usually flying by these walls without much thought, I’m sure that if you live there, life has to be different as well… much more guarded and protected.

In fact, I bet you that a study on kids that grow up next to giant walls as opposed to kids that don’t would prove that there are huge differences, like in racquetball ability. Although it won’t take too many over-hit balls before it starts affecting traffic.

Note: Sorry for the lame post. I’ve had the idea of these big walls for a couple of weeks now, but I have no idea what to call them, let alone what to say about them. If I only had a roving reporter, then I could get someone else to write about it, and do some investigating, like who paid for these giant walls, and what does the homeowners have to say about them, and are there any world-famous racquetballers who grew up in their shadows. Maybe they could do a “Day in the Life of” type piece about the painter of the giant wall. And of course there would be pictures. Ahhh… someday, maybe someday.

No comments: