Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wal-Mart Shopper

As I am sure my most faithful readers know by now, winning the lottery is a big part of my plans for the future. For one reason or another, I find a way to mention it almost as often as I disappear into long stretches of eerie silence.

Recently, my wife and I found ourselves in Wal-Mart with the goal of spending money. I’ve had two gift cards in my wallet totaling a little less that $100 since Christmas and frankly, the size of my wallet had become a pain in my ass. Those two cards had to go. It was almost like we had won the lottery.

After picking out a few items for both of us, we split up to spend about $20 each on whatever we wanted. My wife headed to the make-up and hair product section and I headed to the garden section. Then I went to the electronic section. Then the sports and games. Then the clothes department. Then I looked through the shampoos and checked on my wife. Then back to the electronics.

In all that is Wal-Mart, I could not find anything I wanted. In fact, I only considered a few things: the new Harry Potter movie, an automatic adjustable wrench that was 20% off, and a tower fan that, at $45, was out of my price range.

The gift cards were from Christmas, so as I stopped to appreciate the fan display, I tried to remember what was on my Christmas list. I couldn’t think of anything and before I knew it, I was wondering what would happen if you lined the expansive roof of Wal-Mart with little wind turbines and maybe designed a roof with aerodynamic grooves to harness the wind and...

I had to stop, for even a little wind turbine would be more than twenty dollars. I think I should win the lottery before I start scheming up any more big ideas. Yep, I might need to win the lottery two or three times in order to keep up with all my plans.

Unfortunately, I have yet to win the big one. Maybe that’s a good thing as I have a hard enough time deciding what to do with twenty dollars.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you still have credit on your gift card? Maybe you could do something nice for Father's day. However, he can't think of anything he would want from Wal Mart anyway.
tjd

Anonymous said...

What did you get?
-kdk

John Duffy said...

Glad you asked... I couldn't find the right place to include that I bought $12 worth of cat litter!

We got other stuff too and after the gift cards the bill was $1.62, so I really have nothing to complain about.

Ann L. Duffy said...

Umm - that's not really the purpose of the gift card. Kitty litter, I mean. I was under strict orders from mom to spend a gift card on something not essential. So I bought sweat pants. Totally different.