Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Write Choice

It’s been over a month since I last wrote anything. Is anyone surprised? I was gone for a few weeks and then I returned and chose not to write anything for two more weeks. Now I am choosing to write, I just haven’t chosen what to write about yet.

I could choose to write about my vacation in Maine, where the fun-filled outings didn’t get in the way of enjoying my days too much, but I think a picture might do better.
The U2 concert could be a good choice, but really all there is to say is that it was quite the show… and I think Bono was losing his voice, which got me thinking about how I truly want to be a good spectator. I almost feel obliged to put on a good, attentive and enthusiastic show of spectating for whomever I’m spectating, be it U2, DC United, or the Shenandoah Cloggers.

I want to write about my trip up to Maine, a twelve-hour trek through flash-floods and fast moving water, past sunken cars and closed roads that will forever rank among the scariest days of my life, but I haven’t yet fully conveyed the true terror of the incidents, even after many times telling the story. At this point, I’m not sure I even believe it myself.

Find out which choice this chooser chose by choosing to read more!
Instead, today I choose to write about my wife, who is pregnant. For seven months, I have not mentioned the squirming life that’s growing inside my wife even though I’ve wanted to often.

A big part of the wait was that I wasn’t sure how to mention it without announcing it. I’m not big on announcements and these past months, sitting on a big announcement, I’ve daydreamed of hiring three or four guys with fancy uniforms and elongated trumpets with little flags hanging from the end to announce to the world the important things in my life. They would jump out from behind unseen places… “Du!-du-du-duuu! John Duffy is pregnant!” “Du!-du-du-duuu! A boy is on the way!” It would be very similar to Facebook in a way, except it would have more trumpets and flags. “Du!-du-du-duuu! John Duffy enjoyed another fine Peanut-Butter and Jelly Sandwich today!” “Du!-du-du-duuu! My bottom is a little damp as my wooden seat by the Lake had not completely dried!”

Anyways, with less than two months till my life gets flipped, turned upside-down, I wanted to say something about it, so that now I can write a post or two about it, if I so choose. But at the rate, I’m updating this website, I shouldn’t have to worry too much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The right way to write is not always the right choice. Sometimes you just have to write, whether it be right or wrong.
tjd