Tuesday, August 09, 2011

$100 Richer, Oh Yeah!

I just got my first (of many) $100 checks in the mail from Google. $105.24 to be exact. It only took three or four years of dedicated blogging about the fascinating, the mysterious, and the thought provoking… and ten months of advertising on YouTube. I think that YouTube is the surprising bulk of this revenue, so be sure to watch my video!

Now is the time to figure out how best to use my new-found wealth. I would like to somehow use it on this blog, as an investment of sorts, in order to provide a bright future for this sputtering blog. This is why I hope to spend it on something completely ridiculous and self-absorbed.

I hope to put it to a vote soon, with you the reader choosing how it’s spent. Every vote will count as, if the number of total votes reaches double digits, the poll would be deemed a success. But for right now, I’m still very much in the scheming phase. I would like to find something both a bit bizarre and with potentially a lot to tell about… or ideally make a web-sensation video about. Here are some potential ideas:

- I could try out SpaWorld USA. It’s a true Korean spa just minutes from my very own home! The sauna and pool area sound nice, but it is the 7 poultice rooms that intrigue me. One room is made entirely of salt to help cleanse you inside and out. Another is filled with tiny, hard dirt balls… I have no idea why, but I would love to try it out. And there are 5 others! Ice is one! I’m so intrigued. At just $35 dollars for 24 hours of access, I may do this one anyways. Hat tip to Groupon for this idea.

- I could try to become a Free Mason. Ever since reading Dan Brown’s book about the secret brotherhood, I’ve harbored a desire to see what it is all about. This has quite a few advantages. The annual dues are around $150 so my internet earnings would cover most of it and it is an ongoing thing rather than a once-and-done experience. The down side though is that it is a secret organization, so I may be oath-bound not to say anything about it, even if I get to wear horned helmets and slaughter young goats. Of course, if I have to do that I might not last the full year. Also, you have to know a Free Mason to join, which could prove problematic.

- In a very different way, I could take a cue from my brother-in-law and start a long term project. Matt recently showed off his handmade boat, the product of several years of tinkering and hard work. While the boat is just a boat, it is a pretty damn impressive accomplishment. I could build just about anything, except I’m not at all handy and I don’t have much extra space to devote to this project.

What I have in mind though is to build something of a small studio in my garage where I can make better videos to post on YouTube. I could make a studio for my game show, the Ticket Tree among other ideas. I’ve also got a vision of a weekly Sunday night rant. My first one would be about how little sense Andy Rooney makes. I have no idea what the cost of this would be, but I imagine it would be exponentially larger than $105.24 and my wife may have a word about it.

This brain-storming may take some time. I’ll try to post some more as I think of them. Meanwhile, if you have any suggestions, please share!

2 comments:

Tiffany Duffy said...

Will the garage-studio actually get the garage cleaned out? I'm thinking I know where my vote's going. Although you know how I feel about Andy Rooney...

Ann L. Duffy said...

I'd vote for the studio garage. That should cost a few dollars, then you can spend the rest on your wife, who might enjoy an occasional treat, especially next month.