Sunday, January 01, 2012

A Happy Leo New Year!



Happy New Year's from Leo. I’ve sputtered a bit on my weekly installment of 30 seconds with Leo. He has had a great first holiday season though and there are videos of him from the past few weeks, including him opening Christmas gifts. Here's another one from today:

It's not the best of videos, but it catches him laughing which is very difficult to get a video of.  Earlier this week we kind of caught him laughing at the television:

I have no idea what the guy on TV is trying to talk about. It was something about a cat sneaking into a house so you need to find a dog. Leo thought it was hilarious.

I say we kind of caught it on video though, because this video was actually taken after the fact and it wasn’t quite as funny the second time around, but he’s still smiling. Actually, I think it was probably the fourth or fifth time watching it before we got the camera out and started recording.

We were able to re-create the scene though thanks to the power of our DVR 30-second rewind button. I love that feature. Soon after we got it, I found myself frequently wanting to rewind the radio in my car… to the point where I go to reach for a button while I’m driving before I realize that it doesn’t exist. Then this weird wave of anxiety and shame washes over me for making the mistake that feels a bit like déjà vu. It’s true.

With Leo though, I have started wanting to rewind my life and relive the last thirty seconds. So often the best moments with him are frustratingly quick. The little expressions and sighs and streams of babble that make him so great never last very long and he’s back to staring at some inanimate object. His laugh is contagious but very hard to predict, as the things that make him laugh seem to change from one minute to the next. Hopefully we can catch him laughing facing the camera, because he really is pretty darn cute, if I do say so myself.  (Oh... I should add that to my resolution list!  Get good laughing video.)

And yes, it is scary that Leo is full-on watching tv and clearly paying attention, as he laughed at the same part each time.  It might be time to turn off the television for the next ten years or so.

PS.  I just posted another video of him laughing on Christmas Eve that my wife's aunt took.  Check it out!

No comments: