Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Internet and the Man

Interesting article from Foreign Affairs about the US' internet access in comparison to other countries. The opening stat of Broadband internet users percentile in the US dropping from 4th to 16th in the world in three years is alarming. Perhaps in my patriotic ignorance I assumed we would lead the world in everything, or at least qualify for a medal.

The author seems to blame it all on Bush, which although I am not a fan, I think is a bit harsh. If we invented the internet, why were we 4th in the first place.

In more general terms, however, the article challenges the popular view, and that of Bush, that market forces will create the best environment for consumers and still improve the quality of life. But, the 'lack of strong incentives to encourage competition has... doomed broadband in the United States to remain much slower and more expensive than in Japan.'

In a world dominated by the internet, particularly in economic terms, one would think that a government would want to push access to the internet into, not only schools and offices, but households everywhere, urban and rural. I agree it should be on the national agenda to connect as many people as possible with an affordable, fast, and reliable internet connection.

It reminds me of something I heard recently about a Louisiana town that just received telephone service. I however cannot find anything about it, perhaps I made it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What were you doing perusing Foreign Affairs before 8:23 in the a.m.? I would consider that definitely p.m. reading.