Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Rah! Rah! Yahoo!

While two top file sharing sites are being heard by the Supreme Court and thousands of college kids are being targeted for prosecution for file sharing, I just want to give three cheers for Yahoo.

It's been around for a long time now, but I love Yahoo's free music service, LaunchCast. It is different than the file-sharing sites as it's not file sharing, but it's almost as good. Where else can you continuously refine the music that is played?

It is great for listeners because they can listen to songs they like and it is the easiest way I have found to discover new stuff as it pulls from a library of almost every song that has been published. The impact that this has had on indie bands in particular must be tremendous, as they now can receive essentially air time despite not being played on the radio.

For me, I am greatful for LaunchCast in helping me find bands like Bright Eyes, Sam Bisbee, Josh Rouse, and Dex Dubious (or at least one song by him which just makes me happy). I'll go ahead and throw in Donovan with the same parenthesis, although it wasn't me who found it. And it's great for playing bands who I used to listen to a lot and love, but never find my CD player.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the first day of my life... glad I didn't die before I met you...

John Duffy said...

yours is the first face that I saw... I think I was blind before I met you

Anonymous said...

remember the time you drove all night... just to meet me in the morning :)