Friday, July 28, 2006

Sealy Posturepedic Almost Ruined My Life

Driving.

The freedom of the roads, wind rushing through your hair, racing down the highway, what can be more American? The story I'm about to share takes place late on a Thursday night. I was driving I-64 through the Virginia countryside, without anybody around. Oh there may have been a few headlights in the distance, maybe a few tail lights too, but I was zooming along without much worry. Then I started catching up to this one set of tail lights that was going strangely slow. Then brakelights came on, so I figuratively scratched my head and kept driving, starting to think about changing lanes but as I was catching up, about 50 yards back, the brake lights started to slow the car down and they dove to the shoulder. I thought, hmmm, but then I thought, what the! as I was staring down a giant bed mattress tumbling towards me down the road.

Without thinking, the steering wheel, with my two hands attached to it, pulled left, the car followed, the steering wheel then pulled right, the car pointed that way, then the rear of the car started swinging and in blind fear, the steering wheel threw itself back and forth a bit and we were back on the road, now in the fast lane.

Up aways, we passed a pick-up truck with U-Haul in tow off to the side of the highway. The driver was standing back looking somewhat concerned at his cargo.

I feel like I could have died. My life flashed before my eyes. Man, I've had a lot of ice cream in my days. Thankfully, the rest of the drive went swimmingly, as mom would say.

No comments: