Monday, February 11, 2008

Another Steroids Story

I'm down to two pills of steroids a day, which means I only have four and a half more weeks to go! At the allergist that awful day, Tiff and I were in the waiting room waiting to make sure my meds were working. The receptionist started up a small conversation with Tiff.

Receptionist: They put me on a long course of steroids once.
Tiffany: Oh yeah?
R: Yeah, it really gives you quite the appetite.
T: Oh?
R: Yeah, I remember being in the store and seeing packaged liver and thinking I had to eat it, right there. I've never liked liver before, but I wanted to eat it raw, right off the shelf.
T: Eww.
R: Yeah, watch out. He'll be hungry... and extremely irritable.
T: Well then, I better shut up and start cooking.

I love my wife. While I have yet to come across liver or any inkling of a liver craving, I have been eating like a madman. It's strange too. I'll eat until my belly is full - I'll be very aware that my belly is full - and still, I'm searching the kitchen for more food. I'm full but very hungry at the same time. Part of me just thinks this is all in my head and I eat constantly because I've finally been given a free pass to do so.

My liver story is actually much less disturbing. Bananas are a food that I don't ever remember enjoying. When Tiff put four pounds of them in the cart last week at CostCo, I only accepted it after learning the four pounds cost $1.29. A couple days later, I was looking through the dusty parts of our cupboards in search of food, when like a beacon from across the room all those beautiful bananas caught my eye. I struggled a bit getting the first one open as it was still a bit green, but good god was it good.

Tiff has since then cut me back to one banana at a time. There are three left... make that two.

No comments: