Friday, July 31, 2009

The Simple Things

Now that I've got a year at this new job of mine under my belt, I think I've had enough time to pinpoint my favorite part about my job. My lunch break. The job's not bad, it's just this is the first job I've had where I get an hour away from everything work-related. It's a pretty good feeling.

Most folks at my office take their breaks and get their lunches and hunker down at the desks and maybe chit-chat or do something important or I don't know what, but they stay at work. Not me, I do whatever I can to spend my break away from anything work related. That's why my lunch break is a good thing. What makes my lunch break even better is this:
Who's that handsome man? The picture is from last fall, and yes, it was casual Friday. About three miles from my office is Lake Ridge Marina, where among other things the local high schools play crew(?), practice crew(?), participate in crew(?)... hmmm. It's where they go to row. And it's exactly right in every way.

At lunch time, there's usually not too many people there. Sure, there are always a few people fishing... although I've never seen anybody catch a fish there... ever. There's usually the one parent with two or three kids disturbing the peace of the geese or creating a duck ruckus. And, rain or shine, warm or cold, there's always the guy with the sporty blue car, throwing a yellow plastic toy into the lake for his big brown dog to go fetch it. But all in all, it's just quiet and peaceful.

A few days ago, there was a new person in the mix. An artist - easel and all - had set up shop right where I usually sit. At first, I was a bit annoyed as I had to sit a little farther away than normal, but now I think it's kind of cool. I don't know who she was - nor am I all that curious - and the painting may not amount to much, but for me, it shows I'm doing something right. I found a place I like and somebody else liked it too. Yep, it's the simple things in life.

Now, when it rains, I go to Subway. They don't have "employees," they have "sandwich-artists." Ah, the simple things... the simple things.

1 comment:

John Duffy said...

I'm feeling like I failed with my sarcasm... It was not a casual Friday, it was a weekend. I hope to someday have a job where I can wear my two-sizes too small Maine wolves shirt to work... that would be great.