Sunday, August 02, 2009

More United

It was a beautiful Friday evening in late April. The flowers were blooming. The birds were chirping. And the crowd was going wild.

I've suckered Tiff into going with me to just one DC United game this year, by way of winning a March Madness bet, but it was a great time all around. DC was playing the New England Revolution and it was a much better game than the 1-1 final score depicts. Here's the one video Tiff took during the game. It was in the closing minutes of the game and although they were playing well enough to win, DC was down by one. ... Oh, and Tiff had asked early on to name one person that she could follow during the game to keep it interesting, so I had told her Ben Olsen.

It was great! The game ended soon thereafter in a 1-1 tie, but the whole place was going crazy. I never thought a tie could be so exciting.

In fact, it's not over! Once we got on the Metro to head home, a swarm of veteran fans filed in behind us still in full celebration:

And it didn't stop! Soon there was not just singing but banging on the ceiling in celebration! Which caused a big cloud of I-don't-know what to pour down on us! It was awful! But it didn't stop! As the Metro rumbled on and emptied out, the fight songs may have ended but the singing carried on!

(I'm not sure what is going on at the end of that one... is my wife stalking somebody?) But sure enough... the party didn't end until we left the train and headed home. It was a great night and helped make me a great fan.

I hope to return to the stadium to see another game soon... Wednesday, September 2, one month from today, DC United hosts the US Open Cup Championship against the Seattle Sounders. I hope to see you there!

No comments: