Thursday, August 20, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

These thinking errors are contagious! Now that I’ve diagnosed DC United Ad Campaign, I’ve been pointing out flaws left and right.

This summer, after three seasons of mild interest, I’m excited about the fishbowl of flaws that is Big Brother, which I believe is the original reality game show. My wife's been into it for a few seasons now, and I've always rolled my eyes about it and haven't hesitated to tell her what I think of it. This year, however, I have seen the light and am now a true fan.

It even took some time this season, but I willingly admit that I am now addicted. When a show has three crucial shows a week, you almost have to be addicted to watch it. When you find yourself scouring the internet for more info, you must be addicted. And if you're taping Showtime's Big Brother After Dark each night so that the next day you can watch up to three hours of people living in a house, you must be my wife. (That last one works out well for me though.)

I used to think that I didn’t like the show because it feeds on discord and thinking errors. The more arguments and fights that it has the better, and there’s something about me that doesn’t do well seeing angry people. I get worked up. My muscles get tense. I get angry and I find myself always aligning with one side and having a never-ending inner monologue of retorts and rebuttals defending someone that I typically don't really like.

But that's part of the reason why I think this season is different. While of course there are definitely still the trouble-makers - Chima's Uniqueness thinking error for Giving Up at the First Sign of Failure and for Expecting More Out of Others than From Self got her kicked out of the game by the producers! - there are actually people that I like in the game. There are people I'm rooting for and would like to see win the whole kit and caboodle and who I'm hoping don't make any silly mistakes. Tonight's episode should reveal a lot about where the game is headed.

Anyways, Big Brother's tag line is Expect the Unexpected, and while it has been very unexpected that I've gotten so wrapped up in the show, I guess I expected to get all into some random show. Now, as far as me making fun of my wife for liking such rubbish, maybe I should point the thinking error finger at myself.

No comments: