Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Food For Thought

Today, I treated myself to Chik-Fil-A. I’m not sure why, it just sounded really good. Chik-Fil-A proudly claims, repeatedly on every wall, that they “didn’t invent the chicken, just the chicken sandwich.” I don’t know who invented what, but both inventions – the chicken and the chicken sandwich - should go down as miracles. Their sandwiches are just that good.

But here’s the strange part… the music. They weren’t playing “Top40Hits” or “Music While You Work” or “Today’s Best Music” or even some sort of Country that I’ve come to expect at places like that. They were playing straight up Gospel, with a little bit of God Rock in there.

I didn’t recognize it at first. It all kind of sounds the same to me. But as I was watching the water change color in the urinal, I heard something like “Praise Out to Jesus” being sung over and over. I tuned into it after that, and every song offered joy-filled adoration and praise to our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

I was a bit surprised to say the least. I mean I get Chik-Fil-A maintains this closed-on-Sundays, holier-than-thou image. And their chicken, I believe, is truly heaven-sent to satisfy my deepest cravings. Plus, the people at this particular Chik-Fil-A were Ned Flanders happy and helpful – they took my tray when I was done!, but not before asking if I’d like more fries, on the house.

I declined the fries, but it all got me thinking; is it okay for a general business, open to the public, to play god music? I pondered it and decided that I would expect a McKosher-Fil-A King to play some sort of Hassidic chanting… or at least hope that it would. Somehow though, it doesn’t seem right. This wasn’t the Christian Café, it was Chick-Fil-A. I think it might have just been a bit too close to my shaky faith to be honest.

In the end though, I was cool with it. I praised out to Jesus and enjoyed my sandwich miracle. I did not get a milkshake, even though they are some of the best around... even though they are sinfully delicious.

2 comments:

tduffy said...

I have always believed in the separation of church and fast food.

Martha said...

Have you been there for breakfast yet??? They have the most incredible biscuits ever. Every Saturday, I get an egg and cheese biscuit and Andy gets a chicken biscuits. Luckily they aren't open on Sundays or we'd go twice a week.