Friday, September 04, 2009

US Open Cup

I cheered till the bitter end.

DC United hosted the US Open Cup, but it was the visitors that hoisted the US Open Cup. Congrats to Seattle, who won the game, and has clearly won the hearts of some die-hard fans.

The game Wednesday night was truly great. Despite being outplayed through much of the game, DC lost in dramatic fashion, down a man, with several opportunities to even it up in the final minutes. This video my wife took... I didn't realize she was so short... no wonder she didn't like it as much as me.

As my wife said at the time, “Why can’t the whole game be like this?” The surprisingly large-ish crowd was loud and raucous throughout the game and for me, it was really cool to be a part of it.

Seattle though, a city that’s almost 3000 miles away, had a good size crowd of supporters there themselves, and they got the run of the entire upper-deck. I’ve said it before, it’s pretty damn impressive those fans of theirs.

While there was little to celebrate afterwards, the atmosphere at the game was wonderful and it makes me want to go again and again, even if I have to go alone. I think my wife has reached her fill of soccer for the season, but there’s always next year.

Plus, tomorrow night DC United’s on TV! Hopefully, I can cheer till a better end.

1 comment:

Tiffany Duffy said...

wait. we'll be spending our holiday weekend saturday night watching more soccer???? i give up.