Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Gearing Up for Halloween

Halloween is here again. It’s becoming one of my favorite times of year. I think I’m more partial to the change in seasons and the harvest-y atmosphere than to the spooky holiday, but they all somehow go together.

This year for Halloween will be our first in our new place in our new neighborhood, where the kids seem to far out number the adults and holidays take a pretty high priority. The past years have been spent in an apartment on the fourth floor, out of reach of the typical trick-or-treater, so I am looking forward to the stream of costumed kids threatening me for candy.

It is rather mob-ish, isn’t it? The whole trick-or-treat thing? “I would hate to see something awful happen to you. If you give me some candy, I’ll see to it that nobody gets hurt.” And with the kids in my neighborhood, I think that’s about right. They are probably all good kids, but there are just so many of them that I’m afraid of what would happen if word got out that we had bad candy or, heaven-forbid, we ran out!

News would spread like wildfire! Angry pre-teen mobs with plastic pitchforks and battery-operated torches would storm our home demanding some sort of treat! I could see it now… I’d be trying to hold them off with some sort of distraction (who’s up for a game of quelf?!?), while Tiff would be frantically baking cookies. Oh it would be a mess!

Basically, what it boils down to is this: As newcomers to our perfect little street, we are still defining ourselves to our neighbors, and respect, it would seem, is a five-letter word, C-A-N-D-Y. That’s why I plan on springing for the good stuff… and a LOT of it. Maybe it will keep the neighborhood Goons off my back for another year… or at least a couple of months.

No comments: