Monday, May 17, 2010

Church Thinks

Church I thought would be a prime location to just sit and think, but as it turns out, it’s not.

I went to church yesterday, which for me is a pretty rare event that only occurs when Tiff is swayed by the pleas of family members. It’s actually a pretty neat church, out in the country, down a dirt road. The parking lot is always freshly mowed and the plaque beside the door to the red brick building reads something like, Tiny Little Church, Established in 1771.

The May meeting, as it’s called, is always nice, because the temperatures usually right and the church is surrounded in rain-soaked green of spring, if that’s a color. Plus it’s always nice to see the sparse crowd of happy old people, and nothing makes old people happier than young people going to church. 1771, as chance would have it, is not only the year the church was built, but the cumulative age of the dozen or so worshipers in attendance.

I enjoy every part of this little church, including wearing my Sunday best!, except the actual church-y part of it. I’m down with G-O-D, I just like having him be more of a sideline part of my life than front and center.

So I decided on the way to take advantage of the sit and think time and use it as a time to perfect my active visualization. You see, recently I’ve been introduced to the mysterious powers of intention. It all began when Tiff signed me up for a daily email from The Universe. It always offers a basic positive message with a hippie vibe. Today’s message is a great example:

Sometimes the most obvious thing in the world, John, isn't obvious at all, in the absence of wonder.

Obviously,
The Universe

There’s always a zinger on the end too. I love the zingers. Anyways, that was a few months ago, and since then I’ve stumbled into one thing after another that sheds more light on the power of intention.

As part of it, you can make things happen, get closer to your goals, just by putting some serious thought into the outcome… I think more by moving the goalposts than anything else. I’m drawn to it though as I like the idea that sitting and thinking can actually get stuff done. I was hoping to begin getting stuff done while at church.

In an unexpected twist though, I found I couldn’t not listen to the preacher preach… and preach… and preach. This went against years of childhood training, week after week of actively not listening. So my plans were foiled and my thought experiment put on hold, but I have theory behind the downfall. It’s all those old people. They put so much collective energy into visualizing me paying attention that my own free-will was rendered helpless! Or, I think maybe I was compelled to listen because it’s what everyone else was doing. I was just the old sheep-in-the-flock, or maybe a fish in the stream of energy being focused on the preacher. I could only swim one way!

Anyways, I have a closing with no segue. If everyone would please join me in envisioning a change in my blog, it should change on its own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like 1771 was a good year for thinking good stuff. Keep up the good thinking and it will all come together in about 239 more years.