Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hat Rack

My wife took this picture of the front yard used in the previous post. She took it the day after the planting, immediately after work. If you study it closely, as I’m sure my many devotees have, you’ll find something exciting and far too uncommon, a package resting by the door.

As exciting as packages through the mail are, this one is particularly exciting. It’s a hat rack! I’ve wanted an old-timey coat rack for a long time, but after this past Christmas, the coat rack that I wanted became the hat rack that I needed. Tiff’s family, quite unlike my own, relies upon the Christmas wish list to fill the bottom of the Christmas tree. So, apparently – I have only a vague memory of this – when Tiff asked me what I wanted for Christmas, my reply went something like, “Hats. Let’s see what kind of hats everyone gets me.”

At the time, this seemed like an innocent joke and an admittedly distracted answer, but it turned out to be a pretty cool request. Here are a few of the hats I collected. The classic fedora: The Chinese hat, I’m not sure if there’s a real name for these: And the Scout Leader hat:
They’re all so cool in their own ways. I also got a coon skin hat, but I need to find it before I can take a picture of it. It has the makings of a neat collection if you ask me. And as a result a hat rack shot up the list of you-know-what-would-be-cool-to-have. Ebay it turns out is a great place to find them. And while the one we got is not antique or unique, the price was right and it was what we were looking for. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense for the hats I got for Christmas, so we ended up with a very nice coat rack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the original circa 1961 off to college jacket.

tjd