Monday, May 31, 2010

More Good Clean Fun

My soon to be world famous video Coin Pusher (hopefully it's appeal will continue after YouTube approves it ad-worthy) was first introduced here on this blog under the title "Good Clean Fun." (Oops. That's actually Fun and Prizes, here's Good Clean Fun about looking at barnyard animals - maybe this post is poorly conceived.) This weekend I found more Good Clean Fun at the Charles Town Racetrack.

I'm not all that into horses. And I'm not a big race fan. But somehow, the marriage of the two creates the perfect blend. It's so intense, yet leisurely. So uppity, yet common. So confusing, yet simple.
When I first walked up to the track and heard the surprisingly loud thundering sound of the horses racing past, I knew I would love the horses. When I saw the lay-out of the indoor stands with tables and giant windows and computer gambling station, I knew I would love the betting. And when I saw all the old men sporting suspenders and fancy hats, I knew I would fit in perfectly.
I'm trying to find the right way to sum all this up, but I think the best way is to say that it's just good clean fun. We had so much fun on Sunday, we ended up going back on Monday! You can't get enough fun.

Charles Town, WV is famous for their horse track, which now includes slot machines. Slot machines are most definitely not good clean fun. Twenty bucks at a slot machine might last you 30 minutes. Twenty bucks at the race track could last three or four races, unless you're really unlucky. Charles Town is currently adding table games to open soon. Twenty bucks is barely enough to start playing craps, and it could disappear in one throw of the dice. That's just bad and dirty, albeit it can be really fun.

The upcoming table games was also my justification for going a second day in a row. Maybe we can get this out of our system before a trip to the races could get dangerous.

No comments: