Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Wiggling Bubble

There’s something bubbling up from the abyss. Yep, bubbles are bubbling up in the quiet lake that will someday have a plaque that reads “John Duffy Ate Lunch Here Often,” rising to the surface in little groups.

I’d never noticed this before, but the roof of the boat house being worked on yesterday, I explored a different area as I ate my apple. The water was very still and the bubbles were pretty easy to spot through the murky water. One had to watch for them though as there was no way to know where the next group would be, but once I spotted them I kind of enjoyed watching the final few feet of their rise to open air. They sort of wiggle their way up.

I have no idea what’s down there though. I have no idea what creates the bubbles. I doubt that there are people or animals down there seeing who can hold their breath the longest. Do fish have gas? And if so, they must have had quite the meal to make that many bubbles. Maybe there are plants down there that create oxygen? I don’t know.

Or maybe the lake is on some geological mystery spot and the Earth is releasing some sort of revitalizing potion that draws me to it five days a week. The lake, perhaps, is calling out to me… with wiggling bubbles.

"There’s something bubbling up from the abyss.” With an opening like that I feel like I should be writing about the Gulf Oil Spill, but I’m not. I’m clearly not fit for true reporting. If I were, I would have gotten to the bottom of all those bubbles. I would have contacts to know who to ask and where to get the scoop, and I would have probably uncovered that the bubbles were from some factory’s pipes buried deep underneath and slowly emitting cadmium and thalagathum, poisoning our waterways.

Sadly, it would not, in fact, be Earth’s revitalizing potion specifically crafted by Mother Nature for me and only me. Ignorance, they say, is bliss. Now, as for that plaque, I prefer bronze.

No comments: