Monday, September 06, 2010

His & Hers Toothpaste

What kind of Tuba can you not play?

A Tuba Toothpaste.  Ha! Ha! Ha!
So as you can tell, there are two tubas of toothpaste in the picture.  One for me and one for my wife, can you guess whose is whose?

It's usually not this extreme, but a month ago, while I was packing to go out of town, I decided to take with me our shared toothpaste, which was near it's end.  While I returned after just a few days, the cap to the toothpaste remains out-of-town. 

There wasn't much left, it seemed at the time, so I considered just throwing away the capless tube of toothpaste.  But then I got to thinking... why should I throw away perfectly good toothpaste?  Thus, it began and slowly but predictably the toothpaste built up around the opening.  Each day it grew and grew until it came to resemble the art that it is. 

That's right, I said it, it's art.  I can hear the critics now, "It represents both the beaulty and the ugliness of life.  It cleans while needing to be cleaned.  It represents motion while representing hardened rigidity.  It creates while it destroys; it destroys while it creates.  It even promises fresh breath.  It is such an ordinary item, yet I cannot look away."  And that would just be for the one tube.

If you included the second tube of toothpaste in the same piece of art, suddenly it becomes so much more.  "This work speaks of truths that civilization is to ashamed to recognize.  The constant pursuit of cleanliness that we all share has rendered us all filthy.  Soiled by the ignorance of consumption.  Consumed by the spoils of greed.  What is used, is easily replaced.  What is replaced is easily still of use.  Yes, the artist is telling us all that our morning breath overwhelming our lives, that we all wreak of failure."

Then if you put it in front of a mirror, the meaning is only magnified...

I could go on and on.  I have to say though, that that ugly empty tube of toothpaste is still spitting out toothpaste on command after all this time.  It's really quite impressive.  Of course, when I do switch over to a new tube, I'll have to remember to keep an eye on the cap.

3 comments:

tiff said...

I can't believe you worked this into a blog. Never a dull moment...

Anonymous said...

There are only a few of us who can appreciate your descriptive comments. Long live the few.

tjd

Martha said...

Isn't it amazing how clean things can stay when we just remember to close the lid (or put the cap back on).