Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pizza Hut: Fail

I’ve spent the past few nights searching for the beloved children’s book, Ira Sleeps Over. My wife needs it for work. I have never heard of this book and have no idea what the story is about (although I could take a guess), but I am confident that it is beloved. Who knew that it would be so hard to find though. Borders didn’t have it. Target didn’t have it. Barnes and Noble said they had one copy but it was nowhere to be found. Ira Sleeps Over must be one hot commodity!

The search was exhaustive and taking much longer than anticipated, so my wife and I pulled into a Pizza Hut for dinner. Pizza Hut is quick and easy. Sometimes it’s really nice to know what to expect from a place, which is always the case with Pizza Hut. The only decisions you have to make are which toppings to get and if we should spring for breadsticks. After eight years of living together, the toppings my wife and I choose are almost automatic, and on this night, the breadsticks were what drew us into the restaurant.

A quick side note before the impending disappointment: Domino’s recent recipe renovation is pretty tasty, and right now, they have a deal going for $5.99 for a medium pizza. The cheap frozen pizzas that are edible start out around $4.50 and can cost as much as $10! Plus, with Domino’s, it’s not DiGiorno; it’s delivery.

Anyways, back to Pizza Hut, so we order our pizza, half pepperoni and onion – half pineapple and olive and our breadsticks. The place is somewhat crowded so we watch people come and sit down, we watch as they get their breadsticks. When our pizza comes out, I ask the waitress to cancel our order of breadsticks. She apologizes and walks off. A few seconds later, I got up to get her attention as our order was wrong. It looked like half of it had all of our toppings and the other half was just cheese.

When they took it away, I thought they would put a rush on our order. Instead, they returned a few minutes later to let us know that it could take a while. At this point, I reordered our breadsticks. When they came, we ate them up quickly as they were delicious. My mind started relaxing a bit and I wanted to make a point to apologize to the waitress if I seemed annoyed earlier. Mistakes happen.

I didn’t see our waitress for another forty minutes, during which time my wife and I started talking about what headache pills we had at home. When the waitress finally did appear, this is what she said, “I don’t know what they’re doing back there but they’ve made three pizzas and none of them have been right.” We got up and left.

As I was walking out I started to wonder what they did with screwed-up pizzas, at that point I wish I had just eaten the cheese pizza. Hell, even the other half with olives and whatnot wouldn’t have been so bad. But today, some time after the events, the thing that bugs me the most is the response from the waitress.  I don't care who's fault it is... I just want pizza.  The fault can be yours and yours alone, but I guarantee that if you recognize the problem and react to it it won't be nearly as bad as you think it is.  I'm also easily won over with more breadsticks.

We did have places to go too.  We weren't sure when the library closed and we wanted to check it out on the off chance that they would have the beloved Ira Sleeps Over.  I figure if no national chain bookstore had it, there really wasn't much of a chance that the public library would carry it, but lo and behold they did!  And multiple copies too!

2 comments:

Martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha said...

The deleted comment was mine...I posted my comment about the butterfly here accidentally.