Friday, October 01, 2010

I'm Wearing Ties

Today, I decided to wear a tie to work.
In the two-plus years, I’ve been with my current job, I’ve never worn a tie to work, and I’ve only seen one other person ever wear a tie, and he’s an important person who attends important meetings. I’m not so much either of those things and almost everyone assumed that I would be leaving work early to go to a job interview or a funeral… it was my own little litmus test of sorts, are you an optimist or a pessimist?

Truthfully, I’ve decided to wear a tie everyday for a month. When I started telling my coworkers this, they didn’t believe me (and thought it a little strange). A few reached the conclusion that I’ve been reading leadership books instructing me to dress for the position and respect that I desire. That sounded pretty good, so I almost ran with it as soon as they said it. But that's not the truth.  It would be neat though to see if I’m treated any differently while I’m wearing a tie and if over the course of the month, I start to act differently. On day one, for instance, right out of the gates I felt more assertive and had no trouble expressing my opinions.

Unfortunately, my reason is simply that I just felt like wearing a tie.

It sounds a bit like my old monthly sacrifices, but those have become passé and have fallen to the wayside. I’m having enough trouble just posting for this blog! I hope to include a new picture of myself, with a tie, everyday for a month right here on the Muted Guerrilla, so be sure to check me out! We’ll see how I do.

After making the decision last night that I would go forward with this challenge though, I went to my closet to inspect my many ties. For someone who never wears ties, I have acquired quite the collection. But, the wrench in my plans, if you take out all the ties that have cartoon characters on them and the ones with Santa Claus and his ilk on them, it suddenly becomes a much less impressive number. I may need to stock up on some run-of-the-mill ties.

I mention my tie dilemma in hopes of getting a package from home, or anywhere else I suppose, but I predict the true problem that I’ll run into is with the shirts as I only own a handful of tie-worthy shirts. And while I don’t mind ties from second-hand stores, dress shirts are more often misses than hits. I may end up having to spend a bit of money if this is going to be a success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a haircut would enhance your image!

tjd

Martha said...

or perhaps at least invest in a comb