Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Missed Opportun... wait, Line!

Every now and then, it seems life is throwing things at you, and I don’t mean shoes or books. I mean chances and opportunities. Lights appear and bells go off. Windows and doors open, and everything around you is leading you to your next move with neon lights and airport runway attendants. When this happens, you follow the signs and, however slight or grand, your life is changed forever.

And every now and then, the world opens up, the chance is there, and before you know it, it’s gone, just like that. This past Friday was one of those times.

I got to go to a play on Friday put on by the community theater. I have been to a handful of these plays the past few years and they are always fun. This time out, we saw Little Shop of Horrors, which is a goofy musical. It was great.

Friday’s show was the premiere of the whole production season, so the little playhouse was packed full of 200 or so of theater aficionados. Good thing I was wearing my sweater vest!

I hate sitting next to strangers, but as I took my seat before the show, I was startled by the old man beside me, whom I recognized. He was in the last play we attended!, he was the star!, what was the name of that play, he was really good, I remember he had a role on a few episodes of The Wire, what was the name of that play, he was really good, I should say something. My mind raced.

My wife’s aunt sat on my opposite side and leaned forward to address the man. “You were in You Can’t Take It With You, right?” You Can’t Take It With You… that was it! She said something nice and then leaned back in her seat. I was up. This was it. I repeated the praise that I had just heard and then reveled in how cool it was that I was seated right next to him.

As I wondered of all the stories he must have of acting and community theater and his bit for HBO, he was idly staring off into space. It dawned on me that a conversation was ripe for the taking. I cleared my throat and attempted to say something, ask about the next show, how often he’s involved, or maybe just say that I’m looking forward to the show. But before I could say anything, his bag dropped from his lap to the floor.

I muttered and sputtered, asking him if he was okay, and he returned from straightening his bag with a book in his hand, a screenplay really, The Twilight of the Golds, which I know absolutely nothing about. He immediately opened it and began rehearsing silently with sweeping arm movement and frequent line-checking. All this time, I just sat dumbly. I didn’t say a word. I didn’t turn away. I just stared straight ahead and watched the actor act from the corner of my eye.

I’m not sure what would have become from a simple conversation with this man whose name I don’t even know. Maybe it would have led me to acting in the upcoming production, It’s A Wonderful Life, where I would have been discovered by a talent scout looking to cast members in an updated version of the movie. I could finally get the notoriety that I so desperately seek, and maybe I could bump my hit totals up and I could then hire a roving reporter! All from a simple conversation that was laid out before me.

Can't you just see that guy in the picture (no not me - the other guy!) playing the part of the greedy Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life?  I look forward to seeing him!

2 comments:

tiff said...

You can not remake or update It's a Wonderful Life. Take it back.

:)

Anonymous said...

Life's opportunities are where you find them. Quote from H R Puffenstuff.

tjd