Friday, December 17, 2010

'Tis The Season

‘Tis the only time of year when you can use the term “’tis” and not have your masculinity questioned… or is it?

‘Tis also the season for year-end lists. This round of year-end lists all has one common element. They all make me feel old and lame. Maybe that’s two, but who’s counting? In fact, I think I could list the Top Ten Top Ten Lists of 2010 That Make Me Feel Old & Lame, with hypothetical comments:

10.  Songs of 2010. I know six of them and like none of them.
9.   Albums of 2010. I feel like there was a time in my life when I could have told you the difference between these two categories.
8.  Movies of 2010, by highest grossing.  I've seen one of them... on DVD.
7.  Movies of 2010, critics choice.  I've never heard of any of these... which may actually make me cool.
6.  Celebrities of 2010.  I don't see my name on this list.  I do see Justin Bieber!?!  Must be a typo.
5.  Sports Moments of 2010.  How is the pinnacle sports moment of my adult life only #7?
4.  Gadgets of 2010.  None of these interest me.
3.  Television Shows of 2010.  Wait... they have actual shows not on ABC, NBC, or CBS?
2.  Viral Videos of 2010.  Those are hilarious... I haven't seen any of them!
1.  Massively Multiplayer On-line Role Playing Games of 2010.  What?

Maybe next year I'll take the time to make this a real list.  On the flip-side I would be interested in a "Best Medical Advice of 2010."

‘Tis the season to get older by the year.

‘Tis also the season to slow down my blog. For whatever reason, that seems to be the annual pattern anyways. I’ll crank up the creative juices sometime in the summer, become almost … by September, embark upon some grand blogging scheme in October and begin to fizzle in November and sputter into hibernation in December or January.

This year, I had the ties going for October and then tried to give thanks for a while, but abandoned that with little mention of it. I still owe the good people in the blog world some two dozen thank you letters at some point… don’t think I’ve lost track. Anyhoo, in an effort to prolong my writing this season, I’ve written a couple of others this week that I just posted. One's actually about something that 'tis the season for; the other is of the utmost importance.  'T'are enjoyable!

I feel like 'tis the season for something else, but I just can't think of it... but first let me check that list I just made... I should check it twice.

No comments: