Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Favorites: Day 13

My Favorite College Memory

While I'm tempted to simply say "No Comment," I'll just say that this post is currently under-construction.

This is it completed:
Oohh… this is a broad category.  I should begin by saying that I have amazing memories from college. 
 
Strangely, one of the first things that come to mind is the walking.  I walked everywhere, all-the-time, usually wearing the same pair of leather Birkenstocks or felt clogs in the winter.  I went to a college that had converted a road that ran down the center of it into a brick sidewalk, turning it into what they referred to as a “walking campus.”  In fact, towards graduation I had dreams of creating a story for a book based on my college experience… I got as far as the title, Bricks and Birks.
 
The last two years of school, I lived a few blocks off campus.  Most days included two separate trips to campus, with the frequent stop at the library being on the other side of campus.  I’m not sure how far I was walking everyday, but it had to be at least a couple of miles.  Trying to do that today, especially thinking of some of the hills involved, would not be easy… I think I’m breaking a sweat just thinking about it. 
 
In college, I always heard people complain about all the walking and I probably threw in a complaint or two, but looking back on it, I quite enjoyed that amount of walking.  If only my current lifestyle allowed me to walk to work, wearing Birkenstocks.
 
I have a bunch of other memories, but most are the kind of thing that you had to be there for or should be left as “No Comment.”

No comments: