Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Favorites: Day 12

My Favorite Local Spot

Now, this is a great topic and one that I would not have picked on my own, so thanks Tiff.  Sadly, none of the readers that I know about are local, so this might not be very interesting to anybody.  I have wild dreams about the Muted Guerrilla transforming and growing into some sort of town journal, except that instead of having articles about just the big events and news of the day, it would be about the people and places that make up the town... and maybe some events.  It might sound weird and destined to fail, but I can see it in my head and it is magnificent.  Unfortunately, I have a job and a life and bigger ideas that keep getting in the way... maybe one day though.

Back to my favorite local spot, there are a few good ones that I love to go to that I'm excited to share, after the jump...

A couple of years ago my wife and I moved 15 miles down the road and are still discovering all the new "local" spots.  But one that definitely sticks out is a nearby park that is home to a little lake.  It's different from the Lake Where I Eat Lunch Often, but it could easily be dubbed the Lake Where I Waste Away Lazy Afternoons.  Tiff and I found it late in the summer last year, so admittedly I've only been a handful of times, but we did make the first ever video with our new camera:

Another local favorite is a little diner place called 55's.  It's a simple little restaurant, but the food is good and cheap, the people are always nice.  They make a sandwich that has pork and ham and cheddar cheese that is amazing.  I love it.  They also are cool because even though it's a local diner, they don't mind if you wear a tie!

Mmmm... washin' it all down with an ice-cold Coca-Cola!
But, as I said I'm only 15 miles or so from my old home, so I think for my favorite local spot, I would have to go to another little restaurant in downtown Manassas called Foster's.  They just do regular hamburgers and fries that are pretty good, but the real reason to go is to sit outside. 

Foster's is situated right next to the town's train station that usually comes by at least once when you're eating.  While it is kind of cool, it's also very loud.  But it's also right next to the Harris Pavilion which hosts all sorts of cool events including live music every weekend during the summer.  The music is usually pretty cheesy cover bands singing music for a generation or two (or three) older than me, but it is always fun to hear the music and see the folks dancing and enjoying themselves.

Lame choices?  Perhaps, but it's the experiences and memories that each place has hosted that makes them what they are and leaves me excited to return every time.

No comments: