Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Favorites: Day 15

My Favorite Summer Activity

I’m not sure I have a favorite. It is definitely not the summertime staple of shooting fireworks. Those things are loud and dangerous, and I don’t like them one bit. The kind that shoot way up in the sky and you can lie back on a cotton blanket and enjoy the show in a comfortable way… those aren’t too bad, but the ones where you light the fuse and run just to see a few sparks and really loud noises don’t interest me.

I like hot dogs and hamburgers, though. And live music and festivals. I like the minute that the lawnmower or weed whacker shut off after a long time of running and you quickly remember how quiet it can be. I like falling asleep to the hum of crickets at night and waking up to the cool morning before it gets too hot. I like swimming in the pool, and by that I mean bouncing around in the water as I’m not a great swimmer.

If I had to pick a favorite though… growing up, summers for me always included a trip up the east coast from Atlanta to Maine . Some of my favorite memories are rowing a small rowboat around the cove and across the river. It’s hard to think of that as summer as the days weren’t oppressively hot, but I think it definitely qualifies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It definitely counts. Super descriptions, dude. You've taken me back to Maine summer. Thanks.