Wednesday, February 02, 2011

My Favorites: Day 2

My Favorite Bedtime Story or Fairy Tale

Who’s coming up with these topics? This is a topic that I have never put much thought into, but when I was little guy, I did listen to a record player going to bed every night, so I usually fell asleep to some sort of bedtime story. I feel compelled to say that, as the youngest of five, the World’s Worst Wisher and Josephine (...the grass is green) were both pretty scratched up by the time my memory begins. The record of choice for me was … drumroll … the Frog Prince, starring Kermit the Frog. I believe Gonzo was his sidekick. It was awesome.

I even remember part of the song, “They call him Sir Robin the Brave/ And history one day will rave."

The second side was scary and involved those giant monster muppets that are really just big mascot-type suits with scary faces.
He looks a lot like how I picture the Mutant Guerrilla.
 I didn’t listen to that side very often so I actually have no idea how it ends. I’m guessing a burly woodsman with an axe restores the peace and everyone lives happily ever after.

The story of the Frog Prince doesn’t make much sense. You have to kiss a frog to return him to his royal ranks and then in doing so you are rewarded by marrying him and becoming a princess… I think that’s the essence of it. I’m all for teaching folks that we should see the beauty in everyone, even the French, but the story could easily be taken another way. There are words to describe girls who go around kissing every Tom, Dick, and Harry and they usually do not include “Princess.”

Another thing that I’m confused about is, it’s Kermit the Frog. Kermit the Frog wouldn’t magically change into a man-prince, if anything, he would magically turn into a frog-prince… oh, I get it. I guess what I’m saying is that I doubt this story followed the fairy tale of the frog prince very closely, but it was definitely the bedtime story that I remember the most.

Looking it up in search of pictures, I've learned that Kermit's not actually the frog prince.  It's all on YouTube if anyone's curious.  I watched the first couple of minutes and decided I didn't want to see it... I'm happy having heard it.  This is part 1 of 5.

For me, a close second was actually a tie between the Free to Be You and Me record and the Mother Goose Stories record. I don’t remember much of either one of those though, giving The Frog Prince the edge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother and I used to fall asleep to records too! Most were kids stories...but a few were just bizarre. I am learning so many things we have in common!

-dxs

Martha said...

I read this post early tonight just before heading out to the gym. I then spent 30 minutes swimming and singing that Josephine The Grass is Green song over and over again. And to make matters worse, I can't remember any of the other words. Thanks!

Night after night of Sir Robin the Brave...I remember it well. The ones I remember the most are Josephine and Mary Poppins

Loving the new challenge!