Monday, February 21, 2011

My Favorites: Day 21

My Favorite Guilty Pleasure

I have to admit, I was a bit thrown by this category.  I wasn't sure I had any guilty pleasures, and a few minutes after finding out the topic I turned to my wife for help, and I quickly realized that I have many.  She said that guilty pleasures can be anything from a food (Combos... if I have to go into a gas station for any reason, I usually walk out with a bag of Combos) to a song (there's something about Lady GaGa that draws me in) to a television show (I pretend not to watch the Bachelor, but...). 

My good wife then defined a guilty pleasure as anything that you enjoy doing but you don't gain any benefit from, and with this definition, I knew what my guilty pleasure truly is: something that my wife calls "scheming." 

From as far back as I can remember, I have been a daydreamer.  I have always replayed conversations and episodes of my life over and over as though I have editor power over the past.  I am convinced that if I had said this or done that at just the right time, my life would be completely different and perhaps the Muted Guerrilla would have a few roving reporters, a photographer or two, and a food critic named Jeff. 

As I have grown older my inner thoughts have been focused on a few thoughts.  Recently, I have become convinced that I should buy a newly-constructed, vacant, 32,000 square foot retail/office building in downtown Manassas, Virginia.
It's right down the street from church!
I've got it all planned out: I would not rent out any of it.  My office, along with the other bigwigs at Duffy Industries, would be on the top floor.  I would have no responsibilities other than fulfill the two pillars which Duffy Industries was founded on: make money and provide jobs.  The other bigwigs would all be busy making money doing all sorts of things.  I'm thinking I would have a few real estate gurus, a few stock market wizards and a couple of event planners, to ensure that I can dress up and hobnob with the other business elites.

The floor below the top is still up in the air.  I would like to see it be some sort of engineering, architectural, or research-type office that is working towards improving mankind in some sort of way... that is still very much a fluid idea that will take some good, hard daydreaming.

The second floor would be home to the Muted Guerrilla, which has expanded considerably beyond being the leading voice for everything John Duffy.  It would have a large staff who would be busy writing about things that interest me.

The bottom floor is all retail, and I think it would be the perfect place for the gallery of artist-extraordinaire Tiffany Duffy, who would be my employee.  There would also be a shoe store and a clockmaker, and Manassas would shed its Civil War fame and become world-renowned for its fine hand-crafted timepieces. 

It will be great.  I have no idea how to get to that point, but I can see the end product and I like it.

4 comments:

the Rainbow Guitarist said...

Duffy Enterprises & Oxford Editing could use that penultimate floor, if you are interested in keeping in the family. We operate virtually, so that could work well for your plan to have a nice quiet top floor. :-)

Ann L. Duffy said...

Ahh... Lydia was signed into gmail on this computer when I left that comment. Ann would like that office space, please!

Tiff said...

And I'd like a privately funded, not-for-profit cookie shop on the lower level... just to keep up building morale.

Martha said...

Pinnacle Engineers, Duffy Gardner Consulting and Momentics are engineering and research firms that are already improving mankind everyday! So, we would be happy to share that empty floor with Duffy Enterprises & Oxford Editing. Looking forward to my new office space!r