Monday, July 19, 2010

I blame Lady Gaga.

Something terrible has happened. This morning I woke up singing a painfully catchy song that I undoubtedly heard on Hot 99.5. I don’t remember which one it was, because after an hour or so of it bouncing through my head, I forced myself to sing something else. The first song I thought of was another painfully catchy song that I heard on Hot 99.5, so after another hour or so, I had to find a new song, and now, after two or three more songs, I have a terrible headache.

I blame Lady Gaga, whose silly songs started my listening to Hot 99.5 a few months ago. Now regrettably, it’s the radio station I listen to most often and with one annoyingly catchy song after another, I can sing most of their playlist. I think it’s supposed to be a Top 40 station, but from what I can tell, 95% of the time they’re playing one of about a dozen or so songs.

Of all the songs, my favorite line, by far, has to be “Baby, you the whole package/Plus you pay your taxes,” which pretty much sums up most of the songs. Actually, that’s one of the better songs.

I’m sure complaints about music haven’t changed too much over the years, but with the songs out today, it makes me wonder if I listened to the same message growing up as folks would today. I don’t know what the answer to that is, but either way I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter, art imitating life and whatnot.

I’m also pretty sure that “I want to be a billionaire so friggin’ bad/I’d buy all of the things I never had.” Of course, once I bought all that stuff, I’m pretty sure I’d just want different stuff, when all I really need is just a new pair of shoes and maybe something for this headache I’ve got. Or maybe all I need is just to turn off the radio for awhile.

1 comment:

Toby Knapp said...

Love your post... :) Agree with you... it's sometimes tough to be the one in the room playing the songs for you, too!

Thanks for listening... :)

www.blogtobia.com

-t.