Monday, October 31, 2011

The Results Post

Happy Halloween everyone, and welcome one and all to the First Annual Jack-O-Lantern Competition Extravaganza, The Results Post!

Unfortunately, I have to begin with an apology. I had a vision for this competition that was beyond anything the Muted Guerrilla has ever attempted, and that is saying a lot! It was going to be interactive and educational and spooky and live up to its Extravaganza title. However, while I had planned on a weekend devoted to everything Jack-O-Lantern Competition Extravaganza, I was thrown a curveball, as my heater broke. You could argue that I still had the time to do it all, but it was cold and I was fully bundled.

Lesson: Don’t procrastinate… especially with the good stuff.

But the blog must go on, so getting back to the competition: The amount of talent on display in this competition was far greater than I could ever have imagined. In the end, the turnout was fantastic with close to a hundred entries from all across the United States.

Here are the eight finalists, which I have given my own titles to: 
The Buck-Toothed Mangler

The Scary Classic

 
Old Shifty-Eyed Haunter

The Mysterious Jack Ness Monster

The Askewed Gentleman

The Rolling-Eyed General

The Host

The Crazy Clown with Spooky Laugh  Hwa-ha-ha-ha!
So these were far away the best of the bunch, and it is a very strong field of contestants.  Unfortunately, only one of these fine jack-o-lanterns sent in a picture of the carver as was requested in the fine print of our entry form, so while an Honorable Mention goes to Reeve Khanjar's The Askewed Gentleman, the winner and champion of the First Annual Jack-O-Lantern Competition Extravaganza goes to none other than...

The Wonderful Bush Family!  And the Scary Classic!
The Blurry Fam - I mean Bush Family, with their creation!
Congrats to all our finalists and the Blurry Bushes in particular.  Happy Halloween to all and to all a Spooky Night!

...and there are only 365 jack-o-lantern-scheming-and-dreaming days until the Second Annual Jack-O-Lantern Competition Extravaganza!

I would love to hear who the fan favorite is.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

Yahhhooooo! i humbly accept this award on behalf of all the Blurry Bushes. It has been a long, scary week of spooky tricks and treats and this award is the icing on the cake (or the candy on the corn(?)). All my carvers are in sugarplum fairy land - dreaming away - hopefully stuck in their sugar-induced comas until at least 6:30 am. I will pass on the good news ASAP. Jack-O-lantern Competition Extravaganza rocks! Can't wait till next year...

Martha said...

Congratulations to the Blurry family....I mean Bush family. A fabulous classic design. My vote would go to 'The Buck-Toothed Mangler'. I love that he's got a cool hair line.

What great fun. Hopefully next year I'll be get my act together to get a submission in to the second annual Jack-o-lantern Competition Extravaganza!

BTW, I appreciate that the judge is a stickler for the rules. Excellent judging.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is "The Host".

I missed the entry date this year, but I still posted my carving on the Facebook page. Next year I'm going for the win!

-dxs-