Sunday, October 16, 2011

Thirty More Seconds

The world is estimated to be roughly 4.54 billion years old. Scientists looked at meteors to determine that. I’m not quite sure the process of doing this, but I think it involves magnifying glasses and a perfect palate. 4.54 billion years is a long time though. By that measure, thirty seconds is not a lot of time.

When you are a month old, however, a lot of stuff happens in thirty seconds. Here’s another clip of Thirty Seconds with Leo, that's me talking to him.

It lost some of its brightness when I uploaded to YouTube... the result is rather Shakespearean!

I have to admit that I’m a little worried about putting my child on the internet for all to see. I have no idea where this concern comes from though. Perhaps because I was never on the internet as a child and I turned out alright and logically, the opposite would be true. Yep, the internet is surely the work of the devil.

Actually, it might be more basic than that. Childhood photos of me from my first year all fit on maybe four or five pages of an old photo album. Let’s see: There I am at the hospital. There I am coming home. Our summer vacation! Not a picture of me. Ah, my first Christmas. A few more pictures not of me. And then my first birthday! Aren’t I so cute?

Leo, on the other hand, has had quite a different experience. When we left the hospital three days after delivery, there were already 500 plus pictures of him. There have been many, many more taken since then, and they are all keepers. Thanks digital age! Plus, if we organized them the right way, I think we have enough to make a flip book of him doing all sorts of baby things.

With the ever present Facebook, our friends and family can keep an eye on the best of all the pictures taken, so I don’t feel bad about posting the best of all the videos. Like this one of him enjoying a nice warm bath… it takes him a minute.

No comments: