Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hmmm...

Wait, it’s May!?! Where have I been? For all my lofty aspirations of internet fame and global recognition, I’m not helping my cause with my frequent prolonged absences. Not one bit! Before I make another hollow commitment to continue gracing you, the reader, with my, the writer of all things good, with my virtual presence, I need to backtrack a bit.

I hit a block in my blog a while back when a few things happened at the same time. I will present them to you as they happened without any tomfoolery because I hope to get on to my next hollow commitment in the near future.

First, I wrote a piece about my Grilled Cheese Chase to Perfection calling for an end to this grill-conceived plan with good reason. I just backdated the post here for yesterday, but I mention my now 8-month old kid as a 6-month old. I never posted it because the day that I wrote it the mailman became one of my favorite people.

The mailman, you see, made a speedy delivery of assorted cheeses, a gift from my brother-in-law. It was an awesome gift of fancy Spanish cheeses that I have never even heard of. Thanks, Matt! My grilled cheese desire was rekindled and excitedly flamencoed my way into these new cheeses the following weekend.

I began with the one with the best name, Drunken Goat, and it was fabulous. It has been a while now, but I remember it being both sweet and clean. I know “clean” is a weird way to describe cheese, but I’m not sure if cheese can ever be “refreshing” or “invigorating.” “Refreshing” should be reserved for a grilled cheese sandwich that is dripping with condensation on a warm summer afternoon. Continuing with the lemonade comparison, “invigorating” might be the early morning run to be the first in-line to the grilled cheese stand in a near-by park. I imagine the run home would be something other than invigorating.

The next day, I dove into another of the cheeses, the sharp Garrotxa, and this is where things went all wrong. Here’s a video:

I had all but forgotten about my cheddar-induced sweaty cheek syndrome. I always thought of it more as a party trick that I bragged about in college. I never considered that it could be the sign of something a bit more menacing, but after this video was shot my tongue and throat started feeling funny as well. While it was nothing a few Zyrtec couldn't fix, this event brought memories of scarier incidents and left me wondering if I had eaten a whole bunch of cheese that fateful day in 2008.

My attitude towards the new cheeses waned a bit after that, but I did try them in the coming weeks. The Iberico cheese was my favorite of the bunch. It was pretty good on a grilled cheese sandwich, but was excellent on homemade pizza.

A third, even more, troubling event took place that next week. I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around it, but I hope to explain it in the next day or two… before I make my next hollow commitment to blogging excellence! May your anticipation always grow!

No comments: