Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wait Weight, You’re Gaining On Me & The Ultimate Grilled Cheese

It has been some time since I referenced my New Year’s Resolution directly. My Grilled Cheese Chase to Perfection began as a resolution and has been featured somewhat prominently. The focus on this one item on my list of resolutions, which I trumpeted as being “two typed pages, single-spaced,” has clouded another resolution: to lose weight.

With a top-secret target weight in mind, I set out to lose between ten and fifteen pounds. I have been carrying around these extra ten or fifteen pounds for years now, and it is high-time that I say good-bye. Unfortunately, so far this year, I have gained between ten and fifteen pounds and now look to lose between twenty and twenty-five pounds. It seemed much less daunting before.

I have taken a hard look at different parts of my life, deciding where to place blame. Could Red Box be the culprit? Perhaps my sweet tooth is finally catching up with me. My office life behind a spreadsheet could be the problem. Maybe I should replace my Grilled Cheeses with carrot sticks.

I’m still unsure how best to tackle this issue, but I feel I should begin by not glorifying grilled cheese sandwiches, so it is with some sadness that I post my last Perfect Grilled Cheese attempt.

It features delicious Oatnut bread with a combination of Havarti, Mozzarella, and a touch of good ol’ American Cheese. What makes this sandwich unique however is the outside. Instead of using butter to grill up the bread, I coated the slices with mayonnaise. The result is excellent. It not only adds a different taste, it looks wonderful as it toasts the bread very nicely.

I got the idea from a recent list of the Top Ten Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in America published in Food & Wine magazine. Roxey’s in Boston is famous for their use of mayonnaise, so I cannot take credit for it. The list is another reason I’ve grown weary of the project. Like the name of my 6-month old, it suddenly seems trendy.

2 comments:

Matt J. Duffy said...

The Duffys read with sadness of your decision to halt the search for the perfect grilled cheese. However, we all agreed that said quest and weight loss do seem to be mutually exclusive goals.

tiff said...

Wait, you have a 6 month old? Leo would love to meet his sibling that he's two whole months older than! ;) For the blog record, my favorite grilled cheese was the Drunken Goat Grilled Cheese on Oatnut Bread toasted w/ mayo. Yum yum.