Monday, July 17, 2006

Moisturize Your Meatloaf

Ice cubes in meatloaf may sound silly to most cooks (and eaters) out there, but reliable sources told me it was a good idea. I was led to believe that it would add moisture to your meatloaf, thus making it succulent and delicious. After trying this, I will agree that it added moisture, lots of it. It also made four large craters where the ice cubes were placed, all of which held standing water. Standing water in my cooking meatloaf is something that I had never experienced before and neither is draining my meatloaf, which I did by tilting it on it's side. But the craters quickly refilled, even after several drains, so I turned to a sure-fire solution that I'll admit I use frequently - I called Mom. I usually only do this when my girlfriend has thrown her hands up in disbelief, rolling her eyes and calling me names, and thankfully, yet another call home proved successful. My Mom, through much laughter, assured me that it should taste fine and if not, to "enjoy your cream of meatloaf." And I did, it was delicious, albeit no more moist than normal.

Oh, my reliable sources... hmmm... I think I heard it on a sports show to put an ice cube in hamburgers... hmmm... I'll say it's about a fifty-fifty chance that I did not make it up. I like those odds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am actually laughing out loud at this one... at least you acknowledge the fact that it's half possible that you were your own "reliable source" and made it all up. i would like to add that we had to use a soup ladel to get the water out... and i still love you and the dinners that you cook once every six months. ;)