Sunday, July 16, 2006

Pop Culture

This weekend, I house sat for someone who, like everyone else, has cable TV, something that I've been without for two and a half years now. Oh, it's not for lack of want that I don't have cable, with it's 200 magical channels of crystal clear perfection, it's just, well, something I haven't quite gotten around to.

But after this weekend I'm almost relieved that I do not have this access... this power to see every angle of... whatever. Of the things I watched, there were way too many episodes of Cheyenne, a reality show on MTV about a fifteen year old who is trying to break into the music industry. These shows just suck you in and leave you in a comatose trance; and with the marathon format, you're left trying to leave every half hour but you just can't because... well, they tell you what's going to happen in the next thirty minutes. It's very backwards, but come this Tuesday at 9:30 or whenever, I'm going to be missing out on Cheyenne singing onstage with Sheryl Crow!.. and the drama of nerves and anxiety! How can I miss that?

Another show I saw, and saw and saw, was a late night marathon called Pants Off Dance Off, where they play videos and someone, usually ugly, strips there clothes off down to their underwear. Very strange but, again, oddly captivating. I watched it hoping there would be someone mildly attractive. Then I went to bed some 90 minutes later, depressed.

I did see Disney's Hercules, which I liked. I never really liked it before but it got me wanting to stop watching TV. Mainly wanting to make pots. Actually paint pots. And it got me thinking about life in general... but I'll leave that for another post.

Lastly, I got to see the Braves game on Friday night... a four hour nightmare of a game with a happy ending, so I can't say the cable TV is all evil. But with everybody watching TV with all the commercials, all the shows, and all the people on all the shows and commercials all the same, and all very uninteresting, it's a wonder there's anything interesting left in the world nowadays... that we haven't all started sounding, looking, and thinking alike, or have we?

I'm not sure if that makes sense but I'm going to go ahead and be done with this post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're never getting cable. Unless it's cable that does not include ESPN or any other channel that will force me to watch baseball for THAT LONG ever, ever again. I'm glad to be home to our infomercials on 66 and fuzzy CBS crime shows. Viva la bunny ears!

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to her. Aman needs cable!