Tuesday, August 22, 2006

It's in the Game

A while ago I discovered the 'buy used' option at Amazon.com. Last Friday, I bought a used video game across the street at EB Games. NCAA Football '05, it's a lot of fun. I've built my own college football team. Go UDuff!! It was $4, that's four dollars. Today Madden '07 goes on sale for $60, that's sixty dollars. Last Friday, you could pay $5 to reserve your copy. For those unfamiliar with the world of video football, my NCAA football is the college version to Madden's NFL format. They're made by the same company, EA Games, that makes the Sims2, which Tiff plays, as does Zach Braff.

The Madden series, and NCAA series, are the creme de la creme of video games. They come out with a new and improved version every year. While the gameplay only varies slightly from year to year, I guess the teams change a bit as players in real life get traded or improve or whatnot. As for the graphics, they're already pretty damn good. But all in all the game changes so little that it's hard to discern a difference. I mention all this not just to say, yet again, that I am far superior to common man by saving some $50 dollars, but to add that people are confusing.

Each year this game grows in sales; last year sales topped $100 million dollars in the first week, and $250 million total. When I first heard this last year, I would have commented about the changing face of entertainment; today I just have to say 'what the hell?' In order to reach $250 million dollars, people must be buying a game that they - pretty much - already own. I just don't get it. Although this year's does have a guy named D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Anyways, like I said, NCAA Football '05 is a lot of fun. I think I like it more than my Madden '05 game. Perhaps I confuse myself... but I'm still saying I'm superior.

No comments: