Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Applefest

Applefest was this past weekend. For a very small art show designed to support a giant apple orchard, Tiff's second weekend went well. Same as last week, it was incredibly encouraging despite another wet morning.

This art and tradeshow business, and perhaps many others, are so dependent on, among other things, the weather. Come to think of it, pretty much everything is ultimately affected by the weather, from gas prices to food and water supplies. This would probably be a good time to bring up Hurricane Katrina, given the Superdome reopening and all, but instead, I'll I'll mention one of the more damn interesting-er things I've read.

People, very smart people, want to build giant high-rise buildings in inner-cities dedicated to growing all sorts of fruits and vegetables... and even raise animals. Vertical farming could be this great and wonderful way to save the world from killing itself from overpopulation. What I find interesting is how detailed and far along the idea appears to be. Plus the fact that it's virtually self-sustaining eliminates the impact of the weather, which now that I think about it, is a little freaky, in an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it kind of way. Something about a food factory just seems dark and dreary with too many iron beams... like Communist Russia.

I would say that the apples outside where they should be... nurtured and hand-selected from the Stribling Orchard are ten times better than any indoor grown apple, but I've never tried the latter, which I feel fine about.

Instead of apples, we got apple cider. I love apple cider. I had forgotten how much I love apple cider. I think I'll go pour myself a glass right now.

No comments: