Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Cha-ching!

So this makes me chuckle. The ancient Japanese text on tea preparation, a national tradition, is translated as The Classic of Tea, which in Japanese is called Cha Ching. Makes one wonder of the deeper meaning of Baddabing-Baddaboom.

I'm not too into tea myself, but I like the idea of the tea ceremony. Not so much the tea party, but the Japanese tradition. The idea just feels peaceful to me.

I visited a Japanese garden, once, in Ft. Worth, TX. I think that same weekend I went to the Ko-Bell Rodeo, "celebrating 1,632 consecutive weekends of rodeo action." Hee-ha! Texans have their own traditions. There were burning stoves in the stands to keep folks warm. It was winter.

I don't remember much of the Japanese garden, but there was a tea house. And I believe they had a rock garden, but when I was thereit needed some work done to it. It needed some serious Zen-ing.

I mention the rock garden because I was flipping through Wikipedia. The world-famous rock garden of Ryoan-ji, first off kicks ass. Anyplace that's been fully operational and in daily use for some 500-plus years kicks ass. But more importantly, it's got 15 stones in it that are arranged in five islands. From any point around the garden, only 14 stones can be seen. One, a different one depending on where you are standing, is always out of sight. It is said that all 15 stones can only be seen after one reaches enlightenment. That just fills me with spiritual awe.

If only I could cash in all that spirituality, I would take it to the bank... cha-ching, cha-ching!

No comments: