Monday, October 01, 2007

Cable's Out

A little over a year ago we signed up for cable, getting a good deal as part of the sign-up-now-bonus! package. After two-plus years of fighting bunny ears, we were paying what I saw as a fair price for television. The package included digital cable with a gazillion channels, plus HBO and Showtime.

The gazillion channels I could probably do without, but HBO and Showtime both have a surprising number of excellent shows. None of them ever look good from the previews, but about ten minutes watching any one of them and you are asking yourself simultaneously what the hell is going on? and how have I not been watching this?

Big Love is the spotlight winner for me. Polygamy has never looked so... I'm not sure what the right word is. I'm a bit new to these pay channel shows, but this is the only thing on TV I can think of that both draws you in and pushes you away at the same time - well, maybe VH1's reality shows. All the characters appear underhanded and somewhat evil at one point or another, yet it manages to engulf you into it's chaotic world. It is a pretty amazing feat of storytelling.

I can't say that polygamy ever really intrigued me before, but the show raises a lot of questions. Chief among them is how in the world could someone afford it. I can barely afford living on my own, let alone supporting three families. And with my up-coming nuptials, I kind of like the idea of keeping my options open. Of course, I should mention that Tiff's favorite show was probably Dexter, with it's serial killer protagonist -
I'm sure that has nothing to do with our approaching marriage though.

Our twelve month introductory rate recently expired. Our bill jumped a hundred dollars. Tiff and I decided we could live without these shows. Or at least wait till they are out on DVD.

We now have the "limited basic" package, which still has three times as many channels as we will ever need. Annoyingly though, we lost the "guide" ability and now we never know what's on. I guess we could check on-line but the computer's always way over there and we're way over here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i do miss my dexter...