Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lend A micro Hand

A few weeks ago, Bill Clinton was on Oprah talking about giving. I remember I was pretty impressed with the whole notion, but I keep thinking about a five minute segment towards the end about a microlending website. It took me some time to track it down, but I found it, Kiva.org. Here, you can put as little as $25 into an account and donate it to any of a number of poverty-stricken entrepreneurs from around the world. They have to pay it back and then you can donate your money to someone else. Maybe it's just my International Affairs degree speaking, but I think this is the coolest. And you should at least check it out.

For a long time, I've been saving up my change with the noble aspiration of donating a llama to someone through Heiffer International, but I think I like the idea of Kiva better. Despit the note:
Due to a recent surge in support ignited by viewers of the Oprah Winfrey Show, the Today Show, and readers of President Clinton's newly released book Giving, there is
currently a shortage of businesses in need of loans. The Kiva.org staff and our
Field Partners are working overtime to get more businesses on the website. In
the meantime, thank you for your patience!

I almost got out my credit card today, but luckily I checked my horoscope first: "Taurus - Take some time today to review your accounts and make sure you are prepared."

Good thing too, especially after the damn locksmith! They don't take anything less than $25 though, so if you got the urge to donate less, you should donate to the best website on the web on the sidebar. All my thoughts that's fit to print. Clink-clink-clink.

No comments: